The Advantages of Spaying and Neutering
Shelter overcrowding and stray dogs and cats are a huge issue all over the country. About 6.5 million companion animals (dogs and cats) enter shelters annually every year in the United States (source: ASPCA). Nearly 1.5 million of those animals are euthanized because they don’t have a home and shelter funding is lacking. When you have your pet spayed or neutered, you are doing your part to prevent unwanted litters and playing a part in keeping stray pet populations at bay.
Beyond the fact that Fort Worth spay and neuter can help reduce pet populations, many other benefits exist as well.
Benefits of Spaying a Female Pet
- No anxious behaviors common during heat cycles
- No menstruation
- Lowered risk of reproductive system cancer
- Potentially longer lifespan
Benefits of Neutering a Male Pet
- Reduction of aggressive behaviors and potential for injuries related to fighting
- Lowered risk of testicular cancer or prostate issues
- Deterred territorial marking
- Reduction of dangerous roaming in search of a mate
We provide spay and neuter services for:
- guinea pigs
- sugar gliders
What’s Included in Your Pet’s Spay or Neuter Surgery
Today’s modern spay and neuter procedures are more refined and safer than ever. All types of surgery can have their own unique set of risks, but the majority of dogs and cats who undergo spaying or neutering surgery do just fine with no complications.
Female spaying involves removing the reproductive organs: the uterus and ovaries. This is an open abdomen surgery, the animal equivalent of a human ovariohysterectomy. Neutering involves surgically removing the male cat or dog’s testicles. Both procedures are normally treated as outpatient surgeries; your pet should get to come home within the same day, not long after surgery.
When you bring your pet to Ridglea West Animal Hospital for their spay or neuter procedure, you can have peace of mind that they are receiving all of the necessary services to ensure a safe & successful procedure. Along with a team of 3 veterinary professionals caring for your pet through surgery, spay and neuter packages are our animal hospital include:
- Surgery performed in a sterile surgical environment
- Pre-surgical lab work to ensure they are safe through anesthesia
- Anesthesia & vital monitoring by a licensed technician throughout the duration of the procedure
- Post-operative checks & aftercare
- Safety cone & pain management for your pet’s recovery
After a Spay or Neuter Surgery
- Give your pet a quiet, comfortable place to spend recovery
- Check the surgical incision daily and watch for signs of problems
- Keep the incision dry for about 10 days after surgery; no bathing or going outside in the rain
- Avoid strenuous play or exercise for about two weeks
Contact Us About Spay and Neuter Services at Our Forth Worth Pet Hospital
Having your pet spayed or neutered is a responsible thing to do as an owner, but it may also be good for your pet’s health. At our animal hospital, we utilize the latest technology and equipment to ensure the spay or neuter procedure goes smoothly and your pet has the most comfortable experience. Reach out to us at Ridglea West Animal Hospital to schedule an appointment for spay and neuter services in Fort Worth, TX.